The other day I received a message from my partner Ryan – he was on his way home from work because he was sick… Let me just say that when Ryan stays home, it’s because he’s REALLY sick… (That boy misses work for nothing). I didn’t need any elaboration beyond that… I knew what I was dealing with. It was time to bring out the big guns, because I was about to come face to face with my arch nemesis; the Man Cold.
This time of year it seems everyone is under the weather… Something about the sombre grey-tone of mid-winter turns our offices, homes, and vehicles, into incubators for the nastiest germs. This season, there has been no shortage of sickness; from coughs, to flus, to sinus infections… I’ve seen it all. But worst of all, is the man cold.
Anyone living in close quarters with a man knows what I’m talking about… I’m sorry boys, but it’s real. When the men in our lives get sick, they go down HARD. The tricky part about the man cold is that its cure is not straight forward. Not only does it involve proper medication, but the prescribed treatment also calls for an adequate level of comfort and mental reassurance to get them out of their sickness slump.
A quick stop at the grocery store on my way home from work was all it took to fully prepare myself to battle Ryan’s cold. Here are my tried and true tips to put a halt to the man cold – all of which are Ryan-approved!
- Get to the pharmacy… Fast. It’s time to stock up on cough, cold, and flu medication for day and night. Toss some vapour rub and medicated lemon drink into your cart and you’re good to go.
- Break out the tissue and disinfecting wipes. Keep tissue no more than an arm’s reach away at all times, and have your man wipe down all the stuff he touches regularly with disinfecting wipes. Trust me, you don’t want to catch what he has… (If you do though, we both know it won’t hit you as hard as it has him).
- Cook up some healthy and filling soup. I make mine using my home made bone broth, toss in some cooked chicken, ginger, garlic, onion, veggies, and a cup of brown rice, and let that cook for a good hour or so. Before you know it you’ll have a comforting and nourishing meal.
- Keep fluids on hand. When you don’t feel well, consuming anything is a chore. Keep juice, sparkling water, and tea available at all times. I even keep a glass of OJ by Ryan’s bedside so he can sip when he wakes up. We all know hydration is key, so keep it flowing!
- Keep him company. Sickness is never fun, but it’s always a little brighter when you get to spend time with someone you love. Maybe now you can finally watch all 3 Rocky movies back to back in full matching sweat suits!
Here’s the silver lining – although our men tend to get hit hard when it comes to the Man Cold; in my experience they also tend to recover faster! So take good care and you’ll have your best friend back in fighting form in no time.
What’s your number one trick to fighting The Man Cold?!